Sunday, August 22, 2010

Free Printables & Games for the Spanish Classroom



In my last blog post, I outlined some great books filled with engaging activities and games for the foreign language classroom. Fortunately, I own a majority of these books thanks to funding from a FLES grant. Now our program is functioning without funding from our previous grant and my search for more games and activities is just beginning. For this reason, I am sharing more places to find printables and activities that can be downloaded for free. This is my way of welcoming you back to a new school year. Enjoy!

Free Activities & Games

1. http://www.anacleta.com/practicalpointers.html/
This is one of my favorite sites for game ideas. It offers some tips for presenting and reinforcing content in the elementary Spanish classroom. I feel that many of these activities can be easily modified to teach other languages in the elementary setting.

2. http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/try/activities
This site is a goldmine when it comes to finding activities to reinforce skills in listening, speaking, writing, reading, pronunciation, and vocabulary. Simply click on the section that you want to focus on and you will be directed to a wide array of activities that suit different proficiency levels. Each activity is clearly outlined and some include a sample worksheet. Although the exercises are meant for teaching ESL, I have found that they can apply to other languages as well.

3. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4q55t/miclaseestuclase2/id11.html
This is a must see site! It contains activities and games that have been compiled from discussions on the FLTEACH Listserv. Instructions are included along with some sample templates and worksheets. Also, the games are not language specific and can be modified for different levels and age groups.

4. http://www.hltmag.co.uk/jul03/less.htm
I came across this site through Twitter and loved how the exercises can apply to almost any language setting for young learners. The activities are very hands-on and age appropriate.

Free Printable Worksheets & More

1. http://www.primeraescuela.com/
I love this site because it offers many printable worksheets on different themes and letters of the alphabet. There are also some very cute craft activities that can complement most thematic units. I highly recommend this site to Spanish teachers in the early grades.

2. http://www.eslflashcards.com/
Although this site is meant for ESL, the concept of using flashcards can be used in any language and at almost any level. I also like that this site has a variety of colorful and humorous flashcards. My favorite feature is that you can choose what size to print your flashcards.

3. http://www.homeeducationresources.com/FREEspanish.htm
I love to use the lists on this site as reference guides for my students. They are colorful and very easy to understand for my students.

I hope these sites help in your search for free materials. I would love to hear your comments about where you find free printable worksheets and activities for your foreign language class. Your feedback is always appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog. I am adding yours too! I can't wait to check out more that you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine,

    Thank you for your kind words! I look forward to sharing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Elvira, I liked your article very much and now I want to use such printable games in my Spanish school for kids. Previously I have been conducting conversation classes but I think including games will be a great idea to get their interest more in the class activities. Thank you for sharing.

    Regards,
    Junu Jinnie
    Spanish School Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome exercises to learn spanish slowly but surely, it's hard at the beginning, too many phrasal verbs, thanks Elvira!

    ReplyDelete