Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Struggle is Real: My Journey Towards Wellness


My Younger Years: Middle School (Left), High School (Right)
Those of you who know me personally are very familiar with my use of the saying, “The struggle is real,” or as I like to express it as #thestruggleisreal. I have joked a lot about my struggles with food and weight to make the burden seem lighter, but the truth? It’s not something to take lightly. I have recently become aware of my actual state of health and it’s not pretty. It’s also not funny anymore. My whole life I have struggled with my weight. As far as I can remember, I have been a chubby girl who loves to eat. That hasn’t changed. And even despite my most recent efforts to become an active adult, it’s still not enough. And the only person to blame is myself (Some thanks given to my genes, but mainly for my lifestyle). Ouch.  That truth hurts, but it is something that needed to come to my attention. Better now than later. No longer will occasional exercise be enough. It’s time to turn a new leaf, time for a new beginning.
Adulthood: College (Left), Newly Married (Right)- Thinnest I have ever been! 
Going through this has made me realize how oblivious I have been over the past years. It is easy to get caught up with life and ignore one’s needs. It’s even easier to become complacent. But the irony of all this is that this state of complacency has not transferred to my profession. When it comes to my learning, I don’t settle. In fact, I like to challenge myself, question, reflect, and even share the work I do. I love to make connections and learn from others who have similar passions as myself.  Where I have stimulated my mind, I have ignored my body.

I know what I need to do from now on. I’m taking that same energy that I have researching innovative teaching practices to seeking information for my own nutrition and fitness.  Just as I would make a plan for my professional learning, I am now going to set goals for myself. I will also connect more with my online friends for support. As insignificant as a comment or like on a RunKeeper activity may seem, it means a lot for me. And I appreciate those of you who have already offered this support on a weekly basis!

But I think the biggest challenge so far in this wellness journey, is finding activities that are right for me. By that I mean, exercise that I not only enjoy but will actually keep up. I have never been athletic, so exercise in itself has been difficult. For now, I will include a mixture of running, dancing with my Wii Just Dance, and exercise videos for circuit training. These are just some options for me to increase my activity and motivate me. I figure if I have to do something, I might as well have fun doing it!

My best run this summer! Was proud of my time & distance. 

I am optimistic that things will improve and just as with any challenge, I will remember to take small steps. We all have our own struggles that may deviate our journeys into different or unexpected paths. I hope that you will continue to follow my journey and in doing so helps you take a closer look at your own. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I just posted a comment but it didn't show up. Ok, well, take 2! I was just saying that you look great, but I totally understand what you're saying. I recently lost 60 pounds, and more recently put 25 back on lol. Traveling to conferences has NOT been friendly to my waistline. The struggle is real for me, too, in trying not to bounce back to where I was lol. We are in this together. Let's keep rocking it out :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Thanks for your kind words, dear friend. I appreciate all the support you have given me via social media. We have to continue to cheer each other on in our journeys. I'm so grateful to have you on my team!

      Hugs,

      Elle

      Delete